Saturday, June 20, 2009

Agent File #001. Jessica B.


The ringleader of this blog sits down to the Secret Agent Spygirl Style Questionaire:

Yes, she's wearing a tiny beret. Photos by Larzipan.

AGENT CODE NAME: Cultural Catgirl

REAL NAME: Jessica Barrett

LOCATION: USA

OCCUPATION: Shopgirl/Illustrator

Describe your personal style.

Right now, it’s kind of like how a weird elementary school art teacher would dress. It’s always in flux between go-go and flapper, but the constant is that I’m always dressed in color. I can’t stand black, except for black tights or leggings, which I can’t live without since they make my frocks stand out and add a modern quality to things.

Lately, I’m finding that I’m dressing more and more gamine lately- very 20s inspired. That could just be the indirect influence from the trends as of late, though. My haircut right now is also very flapper-ish.

Name your muses. Where (or who) does your style inspiration come from?

The whole aesthetic of Mid-century Modern is my biggest inspiration, but also the slightly campier side of it- cheesy spy movies, go-go dancers, crazy bright prints. Sienna Miller’s style as Edie Sedgwick in Factory Girl is my golden standard.

My mom, who is an ESL/ELL teacher and language-learning theory pioneer, also inspires me with her trademark huge earrings, funky glasses, layering, and ethnic influences from her love of learning about other cultures. It’s through her that I got my wanderlust and constant need to express creativity. My boyfriend, Alex, has really gotten me even more into Mod and Jet Set glamour with our shared obsession of vintage graphics, poster art, and stock photography.

What influences you in your fashion choices?

I think like many others lately, it’s price. Not hugely, but it’s a factor. Other than that, I just look for good craftsmanship, originality, and flattering fits. I work at a boutique, so I’ve really been inspired to buy unique and good quality clothing. I think it really says something if you’ve met the designer of your clothes or if they live locally.

Are there any time periods/decades that influence your style?

The 60s, by far. I’m amazed that I didn’t buy a thing from Mary Quant during all the time I lived in Japan. I also like the 20s, but not as much- I see it as a kind of forerunner to the 60s.

Has there ever been a constant in your style life?

Anything brightly colored or “Mod.” My first album was “A Hard Day’s Night,” a gift from my parents (early enablers!) When I saw the movie at an anniversary showing at the Downer Theater in my hometown of Milwaukee, I was hooked. I wanted to be just like George Harrison and wear skinny suits!

How old were you ten years ago? How did you dress then?

I was 14, and wore the most ridiculous stuff. I think I wore huge, bright red hiking boots and a furry trapper hat for most of that year.

Can you name the time in your life where you felt that you came into your personal style?

Oh yes- when I was 18. I was really into the Japanese magazine Fruits at the time (and had already gone to Japan twice as an exchange student), and I was obsessed with school uniforms and wearing that style to my very casual public high school. One day that spring I wore a children’s poly-blend navy blueschool uniform skirt (more like a miniskirt on me) with a matching tie from some run-down department store in Milwaukee, a fitted navy blue blazer, and a bright orange Oilily collared dress shirt. That day I realized that, style-wise, I was incredibly different from everyone that I knew, and that there was no problem with that at all.

What stores do you frequent?

Anthropologie is the only chain store I frequent, only for their great sale rack. Other than that, I try to go to locally owned boutiques, where I can get to know the designer or the owner and work with them. I’d much rather buy locally and support upcoming talent. I spend hours on Etsy for accessories and homegoods, as well as handmade toys and artist prints. Sometimes I get clothing and accessories custom-made.

Name one item you own that embodies your personal style.

My red Earth maryjane shoes. They’re classic but kind of quirky and a little off...even fairy-ish maybe.

What one accessory/piece of clothing are you craving right now?

I’m really into cotton, high-waisted, printed A-line skirts with vintage inspired patterns. Anything cotton and printed, really.

What are your current obsessions (fashion-related or otherwise)?

Vintage-inspired fabric, Flickr, Italian sodas, Japanese traditional sweets, kitschy ceramic cats from the 1950s and 1960s, going to the library, knitting, cruising Etsy, old and new buttons, watching old spy movies (or doing anything) with my boyfriend, trying to cook extravagant meals in my tiny kitchen, trying to learn to embroider and cross stitch.

Please name your top (in no particular order):

-Books

“Confessions of A Window Dresser” by Simon Doonan, “Hall of Best Knowledge” by Ray Fenwick, “This Is For You” by Rob Ryan, "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running" by Haruki Murakami, "China Chic" by Vivienne Tam, "The Bedside Book of Birds: An Aviarn Miscellany" by Graeme Gibson, "I Am A Cat" by Natsume Soseki

-Movies

American Splendor (2003), You Only Live Twice (1967), Desperately Seeking Susan (1985)

-Music

The Twelves, Shinichi Osawa, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Ladyhawke

-Artists

Yoshitomo Nara, Yayoi Kusuma, Kozyndan, Deth P. Sun, Leonard Foujita

-Websites

Etsy (http://www.etsy.com), Flickr (http://www.flickr.com), Craft (http://www.craftzine.com)

-Designers

Vivienne Westwood, Tsumori Chisato, Vivienne Tam, Zakee Shariff, Milkfed., X-Girl

What style advice do you offer to the masses?

Don’t even worry about how you look, because most people are too self-conscious about how they're dressed to even notice your fabulousness. Also, wear whatever the hell you want and don’t be afraid of your own creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment